Equipping for ministry with St John's can be undertaken part-time as "Audit" courses by attending the classes and doing the reading for personal interest, or you can take them for credit and by completing the assignments, work towards the NZ Diploma in Christian Studies. The diploma is offered in the Waiapu, Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch dioceses and some courses by FlexiLearn throughout New Zealand. The courses are taught in block weekends over a three-year cycle. Click below for the Regional Delivery plan and weekend dates.
To enquire further, either contact the Ministry Educator in your diocese for a conversation about taking part or mention Regional Study along with your details below to contact the Programme Administrator.
Also... in 2018 we are trialing a distance option:
The initial offering will be an introductory 5 credit, Level 5 course: Listening and Pastoral Conversation.
The course is available to Anglicans with the support of the Ministry Educator in their diocese.
Content will include:
· Considering a call to listen
· Developing empathy, engagement, empowering questions, clarification and summarising
· Listening to the unspoken
· Listening as a pastoral activity
· Listening as encounter
· The application of listening to ministry with individuals and communities, and
· Listening for stories inside stories.
Step-by-step study skills will be interwoven with the content:
· The how to’s of getting online successfully
· Using MOODLE and TurnItIn
· An introduction to the people who can help along the way and how to contact them
· Understanding of the purposes of academic learning
· Getting to grips with critical thinking and Biblical thinking
· How to read academic texts, plan and write reflections and essays
· Referencing and why we do it – and the problem of plagiarism
· Policies to know about and to help you succeed
· Using the library and finding online journals
The course involves 12 x 1 hour, weekly live (and recorded) online webinar style but interactive classes.
1. 8pm Monday 19th March
2. 8pm Monday 26th March
3. 8pm Monday 9th April
4. 8pm Monday 30th April
5. 8pm Monday 7th May
6. 8pm Monday 14th May
7. 8pm Monday 21st May
8. 8pm Monday 28th May
9. 8pm Monday 11th June
10. 8pm Monday 18th June
11. 8pm Monday 25th June
12. 8pm Monday 2nd July
The course will be supported by a full set of easy-to-follow weekly online activities, readings and teacher-led (but in your own time) discussions. Learning support and library support will also be available from anywhere in the country.
The live online classes will be over the internet and will present the teacher live on-screen alongside PowerPoint slides and whiteboards, and utilises 2-way text and audio chat for questions and instant feedback. All from a one click access from the online course page.
If well-supported, the initial introductory course will then be followed by other 10 or 15 credit courses in the NZ Diploma in Christian Studies.
If you are an Anglican discuss this with the Ministry Educator in your diocese, or register your interest by mentioning FlexiLearn along with your contact details in the form below: